Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lava Hot Springs

Madeleine and her cousin, Jenna, laze away the summer soaking in the Nuef River at Lava Hot Springs.

As a final act of summer before school started we had a great family reunion Johnson-style in Idaho at Lava Hot Springs. Camping, activities, crafts, and can I say I love this little town. You can swim at the pool, soak in the super hot springs, float down the river on a tube, or check out some fun little restaurants. The hot springs were really really hot. I mean, my body was amazed at how much heat it could soak in. What I really like, however, is that this little town has somehow avoided the corporate disneyfication of every other family resort destination. There is not one franchise in the entire town--no Wendy's, no Factory Outlets, and absolutely no McDonald's.
Going tubing on the river is like going to your grandma's house and finding your way down the hill to a river with no lawyers standing there holding permission slips, and no rangers harping about stepping on an endangered snail. The KOA was just fine--not perfect, just fine, and that makes it perfect. The kids had a ball despite the rain, despite the colder weather, and despite no McDonald's. My favorite part was, on the way up from Utah when Benjamin asked, "Daddy, what language do they speak in Idaho?"

7 comments:

Lindsay Quinney said...

That was a fun little trip. We will definitely need to go for longer next time!

Kemi said...

I lived in Rexburg for two years. I think Benjamin asked a very valid question. :)

(The answer is, they speak Cowboy.)

Sheila said...

Looks like an awesome vacation. Is this the hot springs we went to with Grandpa James when we were little. It always smelled a little funny. Um...where are the life jackets?

Lelani said...

ha ha ha as a semi-original spud, I can see why that question was asked.

Keith said...

I think he was wondering because when we went to Mexico in December we got prepared with Spanish and I taught some lessons and he learned that there more languages in the world that other people speak. So, he was probably thinking, well, Idaho, it's a trip and it's far away, what language do they speak?

Grandma H. said...

Looks and sounds as if you had a great time with family. Your children have many fun experiences - they will remember them.

Janelle said...

I swear I commented,, guess not. Anyways, that looked like an incredible family jaunt. I've never been there, put it on the list. Ben cracks me up.