Friday, April 18, 2008

I admit...and What a Concert!



I admit.... I am living my dancing dream through my daughters. Although they are much better that I ever was. I mean, I did okay, I took for 11 years, I got on pointe and all that but I was a chicken. I tried out for Ballet West's Nutcracker and when I made the second call back, and none of the others I tried out with did, I purposely did bad so I wouldn't make it all alone. (Madeleine tried out by herself knowing no one and made it in the first group chosen.) I did not dare to even try-out for my high school dance company and later regretted it. So what it up with kids today. So much more confident and self aware. Or maybe we are just pushier parents. We did have to force Tessa to take dance that first year. We actually dragged her into class for months and they had a special dance aide just for her. But look at her now she lives for dance and being on stage. I wonder if my once super shy Tessa would be the same today if we had not pushed her. Well enough of my parent rambling. p.s. I even think Keith lives a little of his kid soccer dream through McCoy.


What a Concert!!

Last night was Madeleine's middle school dance company's concert. It was great in fact an amazing concert for a middle school. They took a trip around the world doing dances from different countries. Madeleine choreographed two dances. One of my favorites the Beatles, "Here Comes the Sun", they used these big balloons to dance with, and she helped with the Chinese dance. They have some great dancers, Madeleine being one of the stand out ones. She has so much grace and beauty. Her leaps are the best and her turns so vertical. (yes, I am braging) She was so happy that Grandma Homer and Janelle came to see her. The picture is from the begining dance, "Come Fly with Me" they are leaving on the airplane and Madeleine was hand-picked to be a stewardess along with the other outstanding dancers.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Okay Krisitin you are allowed to brag. I live my dancing dreams through your daughters. I think they are just amazing dancers. I still remember my middle school dance concert. I even have them on video. I guess I will have to pull them out and relive the days.

Janelle said...

It was an outstanding concert. I remember Albion's, and they were not as themed, the lighting was the pits, and it was a keva for crying out loud. There was no stage and they had to run sort of behind curtains in the back, not on the side. So dumb,,,We are so proud of your girls and their dancing ability. Tonight was incredible as well. Way to go. Might I add, I totally live my dancing dream through them as well. Maybe someday they'll be on the drill team, after a year of cheer of course, just for the fun of it. But, I wish mom would have kinda made me stick through it. I had that one year at White Shoes with the Jackman's.... oh well, now i'll force my girls to do it,,,, ha ha ha... stage mom from heck.... just kidding.

Grandma H. said...

Sorry - I am a bad mother!! Janelle would not go in the class for weeks. We stood in the hallway and watched them perform. And, I got tired of the same instruction week after week, etc. I did not think she was being helped to progress. I should have taken her to a different studio. Janelle was in one recital....she was a cloud. And I think Gretchen was in the same production. Is not life interesting.
Madelien and Tessa are natural dancers. It is in their blood. and when the two of them dance it is almost strange to look at them baecause they are so perfectly in tune with each other. WOW

Grandma H. said...

Just thought of something else ----I did not like the sexy attitude the little girls were learning in their jazz classes. I want them to stay sweet and innacenct. (SP) Oh well, what can I say - look at the sweet chilcrren now being taken out of the Texas "Ranch". One extreme to another.

Sheila said...

I really am impressed with Madeleine and Tessa's talent. "Wow" is all I can say. I love everyone's comments about living their dance dreams through these girls. I cannot say the same. I took dance a few times and it was not a success in my life. I don't have it in my blood. I had a hard time doing aerobics because of my lack of coordination. I remember my 3rd grade Christmas recital......My mother bought me the wrong black leotard. Mine was sleeveless, like a tank top and all the other girls had sleeves. I didn't want to be the only one in a different leotard so I chose to wear a bright red shirt on top of mine to cover it up. I refused to take of the shirt for the performance. What's up with that? As if wearing a red shirt on stage was not going to make me stand out? People must have thought that I was the star dancer of the performance. Duh!!!!!!

Kristin said...

We hate the sexy little dancers too. We call them huchi-cuchi dancers. That is why we go to the studio we do.

Love your story Sheila...is it on video would love to see it.

Gretchen pull out your middle school dance concert video I know Madeleine would get a kick out of it.

Kristin said...

Oh, Sheila, have we got some major issues or what??

At least we have the experience of trying. Some kids don't even have that.

By the way--I am amazed at what these girls can do on stage. When Madeleine leaps I forget I'm watching my daughter and then I think--hey, I know that girl.

Then I want to stand up and yell "I paid for those dance lessons".

keith