Monday, November 23, 2009

The Boston Hummus Party


The weekend of November 8th, I headed out to Boston for a conference. We have an Egyptian teacher at our school this year with a State Department exchange program. Ustad Samir is from Alexandria in Egypt and helps teach our Arabic class with Ustazza Michelle Safadi at AMES. The State Department held a conference for all the Arabic and Chinese exchange teachers in their program along with the mentor teacher (my role there). We had some great sessions, worked on an ongoing grant proposal, and got see a lot of Boston.

This is me with most of the Arab teachers (names and school placement from l. to r., Hossam (Norwalk, CT), Mohammed (Provo High, UT), Samir (AMES in Salt Lake), Khalik (Madison, WI), Bishoy (Iowa), Abdel (Chicago), and me (AMES)). We had a good time there eating clam chowder and lobster. We also got to do one of those Duck Tours where the tour "bus" goes on land and in the water. We went out one night to the North End to get some Italian food, especially a canoli. It was really crowded and happening on Saturday night. In front of one pastry shop there was quite the crowd so we looked in to see what the big deal was.

Yes, that is who you think it is. It was Tom Cruise with Katie Holmes and the baby, Suri. My Egyptian pals knew exactly who he was and pushed up to the window to get these pictures.



Poor guy--can't even enjoy some canolis with his family. No one was mobbing me while I walked around Boston. Hmmm, I guess I can't complain, I got it pretty good, at least I'm free.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Man, that same thing always happens to me when I run out to grab my donuts at Albertson's!!! How bizarre, and what a weird life for a 3 year old. You sure have a lot of fun experiences Keith. Haven't been to Boston since 93,, I liked it when I went though.