Monday, January 26, 2009

Hooray, He Did It!!

Those of you who have been following the story know that Benjamin has had a hard time with being in outside groups, like preschool, sports classes, or Primary at church. We've tried a number of things short of hanging him upside down by his toenails. The past few weeks in Primary he has had a little cooking timer that he sets with the amount of time he will go to class or we will leave and come back, etc. We also made a little book last month with the pictures and story of a typical day at primary.

Well, he did it on Sunday. He had his book with him and was looking at it. I took him to class after opening exercises and after a little while I left to go ring my bells. He didn't want to do the clock this time, but also didn't want me to leave. I checked on him later and he was participating in the class and seemed fine.

When I picked him up after Primary, he was proud of himself and even said, "I did it." During the Sacrmanet Meeting, he came over to me and drew a little happy face on my hand, something we used to do earlier in the fall to help him feel brave. Now, of course, life's still a journey and this may be just one step of many, but it is progress and even if some things take longer in life for some than others, it's all part of the same process of learning and growing. We're proud of him and hope for more brave days from Benjamin.

9 comments:

Sheila said...

Great job Benjamin! You are really getting big and brave. Primary is so fun. Love all the ideas Keith and Kristin. You guys are great and patient parents.

Marilee said...

Congrats, Benjamin! You can be proud of yourself. Keep up the good progress! I am hoping that I am brave enough to return to school today after being off over a month. I CAN DO THIS!

Janelle said...

That is good work you three. mom, dad, and ben deserve a round of applause. Did you take a picture in the chapel? I'm glad he is getting more brave and such,,, he is turning 5 in a few months you know... Can you believe you're baby will be 5? How's he gonna do in Kindergarten in 7 months? yikes

Aimee said...

Benjamin you are AWESOME! I knew you could do it.

Mom and Dad you are great parents and very patient. I need to take lessons from you.

Lindsay Quinney said...

Hooray for Benjamin! That is great that you had so much fun in primary!!

Gretchen said...

Benjamin you rock, from Dawson.

Mike said...

Great job Benjamin. Overcoming fears is always tough, so all progress is good!

susanna said...

Way to go Benjamin. I hope that you will come and spend some time with me. We will watch Spongebob and go to McDonald's. Maybe Colin can come too. Grandma Johnson

Keith said...

Hey thanks, everyone. We got another great idea for him right from this post. We showed him our post as a way to celebrate for him and acknowledge his accomplishment and then we read all the comments you made. That helps him see the support he has from his larger family--thanks everyone!