
A couple of weeks ago, since we had a few days off for Utah's "Fall Recess" (formerly the "UEA" weekend), we took a long-delayed trip to Moab for the weekend to enjoy red rock country. We went to Arches in the evening on Friday and then spent most of Saturday at Arches National Park searching out any arch we could hike to. Part way through the day Benjamin said he thought we were going to Moab to shoot bows and arrows (archery). He had finally figured out what arches were, but he kept saying, "I keep waiting to shoot arrows".We did a pretty good hike up to Delicate Arch, that icon of the Utah landscape. It was quite windy when we got there and it was steeper than we remembered it before. We loved Sand Dune Arch the best--it was a little arch tucked inside a long fold in the landscape with sand all around to play in.
Before we headed back to SLC we stopped along the Colorado River to throw rocks and then went up to Dead Horse Point, which it turns out isn't exactly on the way. And it was so windy up there we thought we were going to blow off the cliffs and float down into the canyon. Of course, we all heard the story of Uncle Craig and the Flying Lizard. Good times.

3 comments:
Those were some really fun pictures you guys! I love that you guys are in your own little music video or something,, it's like you have this incredible double arch at your fingertips, literally. How awesome. I haven't been to Arches since I was 15 I think. I need to go back with my honey. Very fun weekend getaway.. That stuff is in our state,, way cool.
I don't think I've every been to arches. We're doing it next we're out cuz it looks cool and awesome. Love all the pictures. Love the mermaid, Kate. What's the flying lizard story? I guess I missed that one.
How is it possible that the whole family was there together except you? Keith was there,, this was when I was like in 4th grade... 87? and we also went when I was in Kindergarten or 1st.. mom has the pictures. Anywyas, Craig thought he'd be funny, you know when he's about to do something crazy his goofy grin and Brad just dying laughing,, he picked up a lizard and threw it off the cliff, and I was wide eyed and mouth open as a little girl. The lizards body was shrilling and rocking back and forth as we watched- i in horror, the boys in laughter,- it drop to its demise 1000 feet below. it was horrible. (for me at least)
Post a Comment