Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Benjamin and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Benjamin had a rocky start to his first day of pre-school. We have been trying to prep him for the past few weeks, talking about being brave etc. He has separation anxiety issues. Well it didn't help one bit. I took him in crying, got him calmed down then left him crying. One hour later I got a call from his school saying come back he is still upset. So I went back and stayed for the last hour of pre-school. While I was there he did okay but I think it will take awhile. So I guess I will be going to pre-school for a couple weeks until he gets more familiar with it. I will gladly take advice on this one and bribery does not work for this child.

He wouldn't take a first day of school picture until I told him it was for the blog. Although he would not open his eyes.

6 comments:

Janelle said...

Hil-arious!
Little Benjamin I love your cute backpack, you look like such a big boy out there in front of your school. Kaitlyn is so proud of you for making it through your first day. Kaitlyn also wants you to know, that she used to cry too when she went to Nursery, but now she loves it so much because she's 2! Do they have singing time at preschool? That's Kaitlyn's favorite part.

Kristin- I have no advice,, helloo?,, you're the one to be giving all of us new mother's advice,, 6 and going strong. Why did they call you though...? Because maybe you just need to go a few weeks where you don't go in perhaps and just ensure him and go over that mommy will always come back and get you... 'Ben goes to his school and mommy will always pick you up'... I don't know, that's how we worked on the 2 month nursery crying anxiety with Kaitlyn.... This should be good bloggin'.... I love that he let you take a picture for the blog!

Marilee said...

Does he have a favorite toy or 'thing' that he could keep with him. A picture of mommy, etc. This should be interesting.

Sheila said...

Oh man, good luck! Love the picture. Isn't it funny how they want their pictures on the blog. Maybe he could share stories about preschool on the blog. Maybe some BRIBES?!?

Janelle said...

yeah,,, you could bribe him with a Wii game.

Kristin said...

Unfortunetly, bribes do not work for that kid not even a Wii game. Unlike Kate she will do anything for a half piece of gum.

Gretchen said...

I have no advice, Dawson would never go to nursery. He would go to R.S. and sit quiet because that was the rule. It wasn't until we moved to New York that he finally went to primary. Now he is my child that will go anywhere and not miss us. He went to Natures classroom this week and wasn't even nervous. I don't know what happened. I guess they each find their comfort zone. Good luck, and have fun in preschool.
Ben we love your first day of school picture. He is such a cutie.