Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Forging Onward, Ever Onward . . .

Family, we have been struggling lately and we didn't want to let anyone know. Oh, foolish pride. Our silent pain?--we have been without a microwave for the past 7 weeks. A tiny piece of plastic broke inside the door, so a little spring fell off, so the door would not close, so the microwave would not work. Oh, the humanity! We never appreciated how much we used our microwave. I guess, we took it for granted. For seven weeks we had no nachos, quesadillas, popcorn, melted cheese sticks--we couldn't reheat our food, oh the horror! It felt like something that the pioneers must have gone through in ages past. Oh my gosh. I had to think ahead about dinner because I couldn't defrost meat quickly.

It has been a profound struggle. Yet, our family has grown closer through this difficult ordeal, and for that we have been blessed. Oh, I remember while waiting for water to boil, we would sit around the gas flame and sing songs of fortitude. But then finally, like a ray of hope, Father Keith was able to fix it, and all without throwing the thing out the window in a rage against the machine! First thing after sunrise, it was Good Morning in America as Benjamin made a melted cheesestick, once again. McCoy had popcorn after school. Snacking, and peace, had returned to our home. Things may have returned to normal, but we will never be the same.

written by Kristin Homer (ghostwriter Keith Homer)

8 comments:

Marilee said...

You guys are so-o-o-o funny. I can't even imagine life without a microwave. In my house, I would definitely vanish.

Janelle said...

So a microwave is to blame for your 9 day silence in the blogging world?? What's the news? Anything exciting over there in Midvale? Funny story by the way. I'm sorry you couldn't fix it for 7 weeks.... or is that when you actually sat and buckled down and figured it out? Good times...

Sheila said...

That was very funny! I'm glad you have your microwave back and are doing better.

Cindi said...

You are too funny. Isn't it amazing how much you appreciate things once you cant use them

Mike said...

I'm impressed that your marriage survived. I don't know if we could survive without our microwave. It's hard enough surviving on our non-existent food storage since we both hate going to the grocery store!

Aimee said...

I am surprised you waited 7 weeks to get it working again. I would have bought a new microwave before Mike would have fixed it. No popcorn for 7 weeks ... what is a person to do?

Grandma H. said...

That was great writing. You and Keith have started to talk alike.

Janelle said...

Wow,, you guys are popular today,,geez,,, what is this your 56th comment?