Nothing completes a summer vacation like a week at Scout Camp (July 13-18). And even though I'm an old man now, it never gets old for me either. I went up with the duty to stay one night, but once I got there I ended up staying three days. With a beautiful view of the sun setting over Bear Lake at the BSA Bear Lake Aquatics Base and the chance to swim, shoot, and canoe it was all too good to pass up for the Boy Scout in me. 
McCoy had a great time with the other scouts in the troop and showed his character by trying all sorts of new things and rising to the challenges of scouting life. He spent a night on the mountain doing his "Wilderness Survival" Campout--when he the other two came back in the morning I could hear McCoy excitedly sharing with the others, "We got bit by red ants and we slept on rocks!" (For a young scout, it really doesn't get any better than that).
And, after a long struggle out on the water, McCoy finally "de-swamped" a canoe while in the water. I was a proud father watching him conquer that challenge. McCoy got 5 merit badges and at the court of honor this past Wednesday he received his First Class advancement. Good job, McCoy.
This is McCoy and his canoeing partner, Mason Miranda after they finished the canoeing merit badge. I'm proud of them because, of course you know, that I was a canoeing counselor at Scout Camp two summers in a row back when I wore a younger man's PFD.

2 comments:
my favorite thing of the summer when I was a youth was girl's camp. it was the best, so i can relate to McCoy's and Keith's love for the camp. You always have the best memories and experiences.
I didn't get to go to Girls' camp this year...the first in a long time. I did miss it. I love camping even if it's hot and mosquito infested. Glad McCoy had a great time. My boys love camping with the guys.
Post a Comment